Shropshire Routes to Roots
|Routes | Transport and communication | The Shropshire Union Canal|
4. The Montgomeryshire Canal(Llanymynech to Newtown)
A separate company, the Montgomeryshire Canal, was created to extend the Ellesmere's Llanymynech branch to Newtown. John and Thomas Dadford were employed as joint engineers. The canal was built in two sections. That from Carreghofa through Welshpool to Garthmyl together with a branch to Guilsfield was opened in 1797, but by then the money had run out.
The final seven miles to Newtown were engineered by Josias Jessop, William's son. Known as the Western Branch, it opened in 1819. Although part of the same company, its finances were always kept separate from the Eastern Branch.
ContinueFind out about the East Shropshire canals: Next
Page created January 2004 and last updated 1 August 2007